Saturday, January 15, 2011

Training in the cold

Cold tends not to be the issue, wind can make a difference. Before I go to bed I check the weather and specifically take note of the wind. I don't have running gear to cover my face, so if the wind is blowing, I opt for the bike in the basement and avoid the harsher conditions.

This last week I had aspirations of putting in a few good long runs, but it's tough with it being pitch black at 5 am, it takes that little extra ambition to get out of bed, put all the gear on and get out there, but those are necessary runs to prepare for the real organized training. Here's a link to a great article about the benefits of running in the cold; as you'll read most benefits are mental, but I would say 80% of running success is between the ears and any way to build that edge, the better.

Things to avoid in the winter when running (besides snow plows): slush, ice or even snow on running surface; when you run on these 'variable' surfaces you tend to slip with each stride and this increases the likelihood of pulling a muscle or using muscles in ways you normally don't need to. This slipping increases greatly when that variable surface is on a hill. It takes more effort to run on these surfaces also because some of the force you're trying to use to push yourself forward, slips, making you less efficient. I spend most of my running in the winter on the road because that's usually the driest surface. I enjoy the winter runs, but have learned to not run for time or try to push things because winter running, for me, is really only used to log miles and keep running and not to push my training limits. This is something to keep in mind when selecting races; those spring races sound like a good idea because the weather is great come race day, but keep in mind the weather you'll be training in.

1 comment:

  1. I was trying to get in shape while in Paris during their epic 3 inch record breaking snow storm. Mistake. The streets weren't even plowed, so trying to run up the hill leading to Moulin Rouge was like trying to run up a down escalator. On roller skates.

    I was trying to push myself and make it a quick short run...wish I had your advice about taking it easy and just doing more miles before I attempted it! =)

    ReplyDelete