Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010 Recap - Ripon Medical Center Triathlon

My official time. I was pleased with how I did, especially after feeling like I was going to drown with the 500 meter swim. The course was very hilly and a challenge on the bike and the run. Over all it went a lot smoother after going through one previous triathlon.

The biggest lesson I learned; you have to stay calm during the swim. Once you let a little panic or discomfort enter your thoughts, the swim becomes a struggle. The last 100 meters I found myself continually pulling my head out of the water and looking up to find the beach. I even got to the point where I kept trying to see if I could reach the bottom of the lake so I could 'run' to the shore. When I got out of the water my heart rate was spiking, over 190 beats per minute. Once on the bike I was able to get my heart rate down as best as I could considering the first part of the bike was 1 mile straight up hill. I wish I would have had the opportunity to get more time swimming to have remained more calm during the swim. I was, however, pleased that my heart rate dropped and I was able to finish strong. I need swim lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment