Saturday, January 8, 2011

Training 2011 - a mixed bag

My official training for the marathon and triathlon don't start until the end of January, but the needed training will be pretty heavy right out of the gate, so I need to increase my activity. So far for 2011 I've managed to do something every day. Here's 2011 so far:

Jan 1 - 47 minute bike on trainer, average 140 beats per minute, did 18 miles
Jan 2 - played basketball for 80 minutes
Jan 3 - weighed in at 153.5 lbs, played first City League Basketball game of 2011, played entire game of 2 - 20 minutes halves.
Jan 4 - ab workout; 5 different ab exercises, 20 reps each, 4 sets with 1/4 run between sets
Jan 5 - core body workout, 6 different exercises to increase core running muscles
Jan 6 - ran on small track at work, didn't have heart rate monitor, but ran 45 minutes so approximate it to be 5 miles around 150-160 beats per minute
Jan 7 - played basketball on small court at work; basically think NBA JAM on a 40 foot court.

Plan for today - bike on trainer, tomorrow run in the AM.

I guess you can call this pre-training. I've been a little tired this week, but I will blame that on my guilty pleasure of playing video games a little later at night than I should. A little prioritizing should straighten that out.

Lesson learned: it's not always about specifically doing the activity you are training for, but staying active and keeping track of it. Little things here and there do make a difference, obviously I'm planning a more focused training approach of swimming, running and biking once January ends, but in the mean time building up my core strength through various exercises should help me be prepared for what's ahead.

2 comments:

  1. this is what i used last time i was i shape and just started again at the nat.... i use a total body one.
    http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/programs.asp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle- looks like a ton of different exercises on there. The ones I do are from a marathon book I have "Advanced Marathoning" by Peter Fitzinger.

    ReplyDelete