Sunday, July 24, 2011

Finisher

For a hack runner like myself approaching the finish line is always the most welcome and exciting feeling of the entire race. Above, I'm coming down a hill to the entrance chute of the finish line, I'm about 300 yards from the end of a Half Iron Triathlon. It's the only part of the race that I remember what I was thinking, almost in a "what were you doing when. . . " moment. I was fixated gingerly running down the steep hill because my right foot was hurting and every time I applied pressure towards the front of my foot it felt as if a nail was being driven through the ball of my foot. I made the decision as soon as the run portion started to never walk (except the ridiculous hills). Not long after the picture was taken I saw my family: wife, kids, mom and dad; that's when my mind really went ablaze. I started raising my hands and clapping my way down the remainder of the hill and on to the flat. The pain went away in my foot as I began getting choked up thinking of how happy I was to be finishing as strongly as I did. I thought about my grandfather and Grandpa's Marathon, seeing the turkeys and attending his funeral. I thought about the Daddy Hug's Hustle and pushing my daughter around on a hot windy day when she fell asleep. I thought about close friends who suffered and are still suffering. I thought about my wife and kids and all their support through the race and the race year. Tears filled my eyes and my throat closed as I entered the finish chute. In racing this is one of the most exciting places to be, in Door County it was a 50 yard long gated off runway with bleachers lining the left side. A large metal gate awaits decorated with Door County Triathlon across the top. I continued clapping and raising my arms to the cheers of the crowd, adults and children lined the fence to the left and children excitedly reached their hands out to receive 'high fives' from willing competitors. I left no hand un-high fived as these people who have never met me shared in my excitement to finish. As I approached the finish line I could see that my dad had positioned himself as the last person on the fence prior to the finish line. He was holding a video camera that captured these final moments of the race with his other hand offering the last high five of the race.

Racing is a an incredible feeling second to seeing your family cheering you on and finishing.

1 comment: