Friday, June 21, 2013

Beat Your Heat - Finale



As I made the left turn to start the second lap along the water way, I was met with the biggest crowds of the day.  The walk way was filled with people cheering and screaming.  Kids running around, people eating and drinking at the shops and restaurants that lined the course.  It was easy to pick up the pace here and smile as the fans lifted my spirits and made me forget, briefly, how hot it was.  This was a section of the run course that closed the loop for the first lap.  There was a group of women dressed like cheerleaders that lined each side of the side walk and as you entered their cheering tunnel the two up front on either side would slap your ass.  This didn’t come as a surprise as I witnessed it happen to the men in front of me.  Two passes by them, two ass slaps!  I don’t remember being behind a female racer when I passed the cheerleaders so I’m not sure if they acknowledged them in the same manner.  Up the path from the cheerleaders were a dedicated group of men and women who were mostly wearing under garments, dancing with music blasting.  They danced all day!  After them the path opened up and the crowd thinned out as I began entering the back-side of the transition area.
True to form I saw David and Brandon and got an update on some of the other racers as they pushed my along to keep racing.  The second lap had a different feel.  Most of the top age groupers and pro’s had already passed me by on my first lap as they headed on to the finish so much of the traffic on the course were moving along with a run walk strategy as I had been doing or were painfully walking.  There weren’t a lot of happy faces on the competitors at this time.  I kept thinking about getting 4-5 more miles to reach that half-way point.  This was the biggest struggle of the race, that first lap had taken a lot out of me.  I kept wondering when my body was going to shut down, I kept waiting for a major malfunction or bodily fail.  It hadn’t happened yet so I kept pushing from aid station to aid station.  I don’t know if being familiar with the course after completing one lap was helpful or hurtful.  The stretch of the run that was mile 2-4 was probably the worst.  You came out of the park where the swim started and had the section of the course that had the least amount of people watching.  There was one longer gradual climb on a blacktopped road that normally wouldn’t be much of anything, but that day in the heat and wide open sun, it was exhausting.  It was during this stretch that I started talking with another competitor whom I ended up walking next to briefly.  It was encouraging as he had no issues or concerns with power walking, his goal was to finish and he knew he was going to, we were both on our second laps.  We both commented on  how that stretch was the worst, we both hated it, even though we hadn’t even finished being on it a second time.  We weren’t looking forward to doing that stretch a third time but happily sighed when we reached the top as it wasn’t just any top of an incline it was shaded!
I had slowed down about 3 minutes for the first stretch of 3.8 miles on the second lap compared to the first.  Perhaps I should have made myself puke the second time around.  That section ended up being my slowest of any all day.  After crossing the half-way point my confidence built.  The shadows were getting longer and even though it was still very hot, the direct sunlight was going away.  I felt I was able to maintain longer stretches of running and the time outside the shade was getting more comfortable.  I could tell it was beginning to cool some as my sweat actually began to feel as if it was cooling me.  It was this pass through the water way section of the run that was the most jumping.  The crowds were their largest of the day in any one area.  It was at this time that I watched a fellow competitor at an aid station grab a big handful of Vaseline and apply it liberally in his shorts.  Heat, tired, whatever the reason I hadn’t considered that up to that point.  I grabbed a popsicle stick that was fully loaded and pinched off as much as I could between my fingers and started digging.  At first it was more like dumping bacon grease on a fire than anything, but the added slip ended up being a positive in the end. 
I was approaching one section of the run course that was another short down and back.  On the first lap as I was headed out I passed a member of Team RWB that I had met on Thursday at lunch, Drew, who was competing in his 4th Ironman.  Drew and I chatted off and on from Thursday to Saturday.  He came over and hung out most of the afternoon Friday at the homestay as we grilled out and relaxed the previous day.  When Drew and I first passed each other going opposite directions on the down and back, I yelled out and I don’t think he quite caught who I was.  This second lap we met at the same spot, we recognized the other ahead of time and caught a high five as we crossed paths.  We repeated this on the third and final lap as well.  He was less than a quarter mile in front of me.  It was another huge pick me up on that second lap.  After hitting the turnaround of the down and back it was a gentle down slope that was mostly covered by some construction scaffolding.  At the end of the scaffolding was the cone to turn right and become an Ironman, or turn left for another 8 miles.  I went left.
I was floating at this time running through the crowds again, I had one lap from that spot, I just saw Drew and I was hitting the large crowds.  I could tell now that the sun was going down, I felt better about running in the sun and tried to keep a nice steady pace to avoid any more walking.  Before I got back to the transition area I looked across the water and saw Rachel and her guide Caroline.  I yelled out and we all exchanged some laughter from opposite sides of the water.  I was also met by Matt Miller, founder of Cdifferent as he tried to snap a quick picture of me.  He was having issues with his phone while on his bike so I stopped and let him get ready, then posed for him.  Got a high five and took off. 
Photo by Matt Miller, CDifferent
I truly don’t remember much of the final lap.  It was the first time I looked at my watch to see how long I’d been out there racing that day; 12 hours, it was 7 o’clock.  I had mixed emotions about seeing that time.  I didn’t have a goal time to finish in but 12 hours was where I thought I may end up.  I wasn’t disappointed, wasn’t mad, I actually took solace in knowing about where I’d finish giving the changes I worked through and how I made my training my own with a different attitude, better prioritization and confidence that I could finish my own way.
As I entered the water way area for the last time I still saw all the same faces that had been out there all day.  I know I wasn’t running that fast so it was pretty amazing that these people were still there.  There was one group that had set up a large tent and had a big stack of hamburgers sitting out.  As I passed I said “that looks really good!”  A woman replied “you can have one on your last lap.”  I said “it is my last lap!”  She yelled, as I had passed by already, to come get one.  After eating GU, Gatorade Perform, Perpeteum, water and not much of anything else for 12.5 hours, I was ready for something new.  She handed me a burger, I thanked her and kept running.  It was probably the driest burger I had ever had, but it was incredible!  My mouth was so dry it was hard to eat; with the huge bite I took it was about 5 minutes of chewing before finally swallowing.  I ended up ditching the burger after that first bite as it was just too much effort for that late in the race. 
The worst part of the final lap were the looks of defeat.  I was coming through with only a few miles left to finish and overheard others talking about only being on their first lap.  Some were sitting on benches, some had it painted all over their faces in frustration and agony.  It was hard, I felt selfish for being so excited I had so little between where I was and the finish line, and here were others that looked so beat.  If they were still out there then they had a chance to finish.  They hadn’t been pulled from the course yet so they had a choice to make, keep pushing and don’t stop until someone makes you or you finish.  It wasn’t my place at that time to remind them, so I kept on running.  I had very little interest in the last two water stations, I wanted to be done, it was a very real feeling that after this long race I’d be able to stop moving and not worry about the clock.  I entered the last down and back and true to form, saw Drew, I encouraged him to push it on in as he had less than ¼ mile.  I made the turn around, crossed the final timing mat on the run course and pushed.  I ended up side by side with a woman coming to the finish as well.  We exchanged some congratulations and then I said “push on ahead, I’m going to back off for a second. . “  Then I thought to myself. . . “what the hell are you talking about. . . back off?!!”  I picked it back up as I approached the fork in the road cone one last time.  Right turn! 
There was one last hill to go up as I neared the finish area.  At the top of the hill I could see all the lights and the big screen TV that showed a feed of the finish line.  There was about a block that appeared to be dark because of the brightness of the finish area that was up ahead.  The fences started along both sides of the road that were draped with Ironman and all the major sponsors.  The cheers were getting louder and I could start to make out faces of the people lining the fences on either side.  The finish chute then took a 90 degree right as you enter the crowd, music and The Voice.  As I turned the road was split in two, I went down the chute away from the finish high fiving people along the right, then at the bottom of a small hill turned 180 degrees heading up the road to the finish.  I put out everything I had left, as I got within steps of finishing I did what I can only describe as a sort-of-high-step-arms-flailing-kind-of-dance.  I thought the crowd cheered louder after my celebration, but that was probably me.  I crossed the line, thought I heard my name called as an Ironman, but couldn’t quite tell.  I was met by a friendly volunteer who handed me a small bottle of water and asked how I was.  I said I felt good, opened the bottle and did one of the things I had trained myself to do all day, dump the water on my head. 
Next thing I knew I had a shirt, a hat and a medal.  I got my picture taken in front of the Ironman back drop and started walking to the finishers’ area.  Within a few steps from getting my picture taken I saw Drew.  We walked up and exchanged a hug.  It felt good to finish and have him there, a coincidence I was happy to participate in. 
0 – 3.8 miles:  11:51/mi
3.8 - 7.8 mile: 12:46/mi
7.8 – 8.9 mile: 11:14/mi
8.9 – 12.7 mile: 13.03/mi
12.7 – 16.7 mile: 11:59/mi
16.7 – 17.8 mile: 10:16/mi
17.8 – 21.6 mile: 11:54/mi
21.6 – 25.6 mile: 11:24/mi
25.6 – 26.2 mile: 11:31/mi
Total Run Time: 5:15:11, 12:01/mi pace
Total Finish Time: 13:03:46

No comments:

Post a Comment