Sunday, September 16, 2012

Saying thank you part 2

We happily handed the bike over to the volunteers and began our walk in to the terrace to grab our bike to run bags.  As we entered the bag room the entire volunteer corp was clapping and cheering us on as we walked around and went in to the changing room.  This second time through the changing room wasn't nearly as busy as after the swim.  We found a couple seats for us, although I chose to stand, and started getting our running shoes out and stuffing our cycling shoes in.  I got us a couple drinks of water and we debated on eating another peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  We passed.  I had Rod's guiding rope in hand and we started exiting the changing room.  Upon leaving the terrace we were sun screen appliers happily waiting to lube us up, we said 'no thank you' and opted for the port-a-potty.  After the quick stop, Rod made a good decision by asking that I hold off on using the rope and we just start running with him holding at my elbow.  This was the technique we opted for in Denver back in June as that run course was a city bike path that was split in half with running going out on one side and back on the other.  We started on the rope there until a 90 degree turn put Rod in to a road construction barrel causing him to trip and scuff his elbow.  I had assumed the Ironman run course was going to be a bit wider but we quickly learned it was a lot more of the same as Denver.  We saw some friendly faces as we exited transition and began our run.  The run exit was pretty empty as we came out a block east of the finish line and then on to the square.

Our strategy going in to the run was to stop and get what we needed at the water stations.  The first one was less than a quarter mile in to the run.  Most of the fluids we had on the bike ride were luke warm at best, so the cold water at that first water station was a great change of pace.  It was also at this time that we realized the water stations were mini-buffets.  Trays of grapes, orange slices, cookies, chips, pretzels, GU, chomps.  It seemed as if there was an endless amount of options which we both welcomed, as the only "food" we had up to then was some bananas and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  As we moved on to State Street the first things I noticed was the smell of Ian's Pizza.  We went the one quick block away from the Capitol and we turned to head down Dayton towards the Kohl Center.  At the Kohl was the next water stop and we were happy to get another drink, the buffet, however, was getting more tempting.  The next mile and a half was what I would consider a guiding nightmare.  90 degree turn right to another 90 degree turn right, to a 160 degree right then straight until a 180 degree left turn around; all on our half of the sidewalk.  That sequence was followed by bike path, a down ramp from sidewalk to road, the road itself which was a quick up and down, and then the ramp back up to the path again.  From road to sidewalk, 90 degree turn to sidewalk ramp down to the road, a median ramp in the middle of the intersection then across the road and up the sidewalk ramp.  When running with Rod he's not one that asks for a lot of information on general terrain, but I felt it necessary to share with him a little more detail as there were a lot of ups, downs, over, ramps, sidewalks and tight turns.  He didn't tell me to shut up so I kept the information coming and this was only mile two.  The good news, our cheering section had set up shop in the middle of the street in front of the Stadium Bar, the bad news, we were on the sidewalk with parking meters on my left and runners/walkers in front of us.

We made do with traffic and obstacles and made our way in to Camp Randall.  We start by running across the field just off the south end zone and looping counter clockwise.  After we turned left and headed up the visitor sideline Rod and I were talking about the make up of the field as he described the softer feel under our feet.  I gave the speed turf my best description and he said "maybe I should stop and see what it looked like."  We moved closer to the sideline in case runners behind us wanted to go by.  He knelt down touching the speed turf, noting the sand and rubber mixture within the artificial grass.  He got up and we completed the loop in the Camp and continued on.  Breeze Terrace was our first climb and where one of the more annoying volunteers or spectators was watching.  A women had two dogs that she kept asking to 'cheer' which was followed with a bark.  Barks is what we heard the four times we passed that women.

A left off Breeze on to Old University started another longer gradual climb.  It was also the first time that we saw a Packer score update; 49er's 23 Pack 7.  At the next water station my taste buds had had enough of bland and I started eating fruit.  The orange slices were the best thing ever.  I probably ate an orange and a half at the one stop.  I'd just bite, suck the juice, toss the peel, repeat.  As we passed the hospital and got on the Lake Shore Path we were lucky enough to have a small cheering section.
By this time we had decided to not even bother using the guiding rope.  We were told that Dawn, Rod's lady friend, was waiting around mile 5 and I was going to toss her the rope.  We had a biking friend of Rod's by us every half mile from mile 2 to mile 8 which made up the hospital, Lake Shore Path, Observatory Road, State Street, Lake Shore Path and the hospital again.  He was everywhere and he was encouraging all while running in his cycling shoes along side of us.  As we approached Observatory, Rod had already decided that he was going to run it.  We shortened our stride, leaned ahead and steamed on up.  It's the hardest hill on the run course and we crushed it.  At the top of Bascom was Dawn, who I was happy to give the rope as I had been carrying it in my off hand now for at least an hour.  Library Mall was entered with more delicate guiding, 90 degree left to a curb followed by an 'S' turn.  Another water station then on to State Street.

I can't describe what I heard when we made our way up State Street and made the 180 degree turn about a quarter mile in. . . it was like coming out of the water on the swim all over again.  People were screaming, yelling, cheering; it was loud.  The way back on Lake Shore and the hospital were uneventful as we had the entire width of the path for a couple miles offering more room for us to run.  By this time we had experimented with potato chips, pretzels, cookies and much of the other food offering as our want for something tasty couldn't be contained any longer; best plain potato chips I've ever tasted.  We passed the barking dogs again and were happy to see the support team "Chafe Now Brag Forever" as well as the Fleet Feet group.  My wife, Sarah, ran next to us shortly and asked how I felt.  I said 'like crap'.  She peeled off and we made our way up to the Capitol to complete loop one.

When the run started I felt pretty good, considering the circumstances, my thighs were tired but that was expected.  As the first lap wore on I was worried that my thighs would continue to tire and I'd have to start to slug along and do what would have broken my one goal for the entire race, slow down Rod.  Not too long after sharing with Sarah how I felt I realized that my legs hadn't gotten a whole lot worse in the first half marathon.  By the time we got to the Capitol Square, saw some of my family, made the left hand turn on Martin Luther King Blvd, spotted the finish line to only make a 180 degree turn 30 yards from it to start another loop, did I decide that it didn't matter how my legs felt. 

At the half way point of the run your special needs bags are laid out.  I had a change of shoes, socks and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my run special needs bag.  I didn't touch any of it.  Rod had a GU, washed it down with some water and we were off and running for lap two.


       

No comments:

Post a Comment