Sunday, April 10, 2011

Daddy Hugs Hustle

A few weeks ago we took the kids to the book store to pick out a couple new books. I helped Emmie find her's and the first one she picked. . . Daddy Hugs. It's become her favorite night time story which she will ask for by name and I can't really say I'm upset by that. Today we were blessed with warm weather and I had the opportunity to knock the dust off the running stroller. I figured Emmie would enjoy the time outside and maybe even take a nap. I was right on both accounts and Emmie and I were able to do our Daddy Hugs Hustle. It ended up being a longer run than I had planned on, so I wasn't really prepared from a fluid standpoint with the hot weather, but I didn't care.

Training plans are organized and scientific to maximize your body's potential in a given time frame for a specific goal. It's easy to get locked in and too focused on what the goal really is. . . to run and finish. We're talking about running a race not rocket surgery. Sometimes it's good to just run and not worry about heart rate, pace, distance, calorie intake, fluids, salt pills and the other things you can start relying on when training longer distances. Don't forget to run just to run. Grab a kid, grab a friend or family member and just get out and run because you want to not because your training plan says it.

No comments:

Post a Comment